Thursday 26 April 2012

Creativity

I've always been a creative person. I can make something out of nothing, I can fix things easily, mend clothing, make dresses without a pattern, for goodness sake, I even cut my own hair. :) What I lack here, is motivation to firstly start something, then finish the something. It's not that it takes effort (well, most of the time it isn't) or that it is too complicated, it's that it will take over my kitchen table, and the kids and I need that for eating on. I often wonder if I should use my small study desk for meals, and the kitchen table (a 6 seater) can be used for all my craft and creative ideas. Right now, I'm considering this point as to whether it will be useful tonight. I'd like to start a dress that I've designed in my head. It should look fantastic! But the things that stand in my way are childhood memories.
When I was younger, there were a few things that stood out. My mother made calico hoods for powder coaters, jackets and fleece pant sets to sell at the market, anything to make a little extra money, as our childhood wasn't a nice easy smooth run. I remember pins all over the dining room floor, and I have carpet. I remember my mother sitting sewing while listening to the tele, during school holidays that meant keeping away while she was busy to concentrate and work. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but it's not the best idea for bonding when you have a daughter like me (stubborn and rebellious). My main point is, that during those years, I remember my mum being busy. I rarely spoke to her, or was within her earshot for a positive reason. I don't want that for my kids. I'd like to be creative, but I'd prefer to be a positive influence for my kids. I have a WHOLE WEEK off without my kids, if I feel the need to be creative, I should do it in the time I have available, where it doesn't interrupt normal Monday to Friday life for the kids, take over my lounge room, and make me unavailable to my girls.
I'm looking forward to next week, as I've decided that I need to take a step back from  helping everyone else and get myself and my priorities in order. I would like to stay home for about half of it, and sit in my lounge room, doing exactly the above. Leaving pins on the floor accidentally, covering the kitchen table with my creativity (in this case, a sewing machin, a large piece of white satin, and a twisty piece of pale blue chiffon) and making myself unavailable while I concentrate on making a masterpiece. I'm fairly sure my 6 year old will LOVE the time I have devoted to making her a princess dress for the Enchanted Evening. She has an evening in which I can make her feel like my little princess. She can feel treasured, loved and adored, because her mum had made her a stunning dress to go in. Also, on the other hand, I'm fairly sure her mum will like the comments when other parent's ask where I got her dress from.... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment