Monday 23 April 2012

Facebook, Cooking and Ex-Jealousy

I'm a Facebook-aholic. No need to ask a stay at home mum that these days. It must seem to all the men, and fathers out there, that us mum's are always on Facebook, because the housework is definitely never done, the cooking is never perfect (that is, when you cook like me) and the children aren't always perfectly in line. Obviously Facebook is the cause! When I am not at home, I have my trusty iPhone for all my Facebook needs, and sometimes, I may not even post, but I certainly feel like I'm intruding on someone else's life by reading their individual posts. You know, Facebook really does stop conversations. I have noticed this! It's now common to hear "Oh yes, I saw you posted that on Facebook", and there endeth the conversation....
So, anyway, I wanted to present that idea, because I would like to start another idea.... I'd like to be a blog-aholic. The idea has intrigued me more and more for the past few months, as it would be a place to put all my thoughts, ideas and general brain blab, into one slightly organised mess; this being a blog.

The idea was a good one, it seems though, I need to sit and continue to thing of random thought's that actually go together, and flow.

We've come to a conclusion recently, that everything from a packet is bad for you, foodwise. We've gone for the healthier items of these pre-packaged foods, like wholemeal pasta, legumes, beans, never buying white bread. But I tend to ask myself, will it make things better in the end? Will it help the youngest boy's inability to do a solid number two? Will it help the sugar and carbohydrate amount for the one in our family with diabetes? Will it help ME lose the extra 50 kilo's I've been accumulating since my first marriage? More vegetables, fruit twice a day, more protein and fibre.... Is this better than what I was providing on the table every night? Or is it just better than the boys mother?

I have this jealousy issue with their mother. I know she's a lying bitch, who can't keep her story straight, but she see's her kids more that I see my girls. She doesn't pay rent, mortgage, repay a loan, or struggle with school fees and uniforms. She's got enough money to be going to the gym, to take the kids wherever, whenever. New toys every payday. But, when I am ABLE to focus on the positives of what I do have, I can see I have better things than her. I have love. Our kids all love me, my partner loves me - almost endlessly. I have stability - I can provide the same things every week, I don't chop and change everything that I do, I don't change my mind on discipline, I have kids who know that they are loved, and that it will never change. That does not happen for those boys when they go home to their mother. I'm ready to get Welfare on her arse for the things that have happened, just in the last week. :/

Back to the food, are there any great idea's that you've recently tried that your kids actually eat? My girls aren't exactly what you call fussy, but there are things that they will not eat, or try. My eldest HATES carrots. Which I consider quite funny, because I'm happy to eat a raw carrot as a snack... My youngest girls HATES mince. Maybe it's the consistency, or the grittiness, but there's just something to it that makes her refuse to let it past her lips. Pretty much every one in our household doesn't eat pumpkin. I'm yet to try sweet potato on them, as we try to stay away from very starchy foods, but I do often wonder if they'll crack it because they think it's pumpkin. I know I used to! Last week at our mum's group, they showed us how to make lentil burgers. Not my idea of yum, but if I were at someone's house, I wouldn't say no. Better than tofu any day. But I tried adding lentils to our sauce for the wholemeal pasta on Saturday night, and it went down a treat, and no one needed more food during the rest of the night. My partner nearly always has an evening snack/supper to tide him through the night, as he's Diabetic. Most of the time it's just because he's hungry again, so I'm thinking that beans and lentils in dinners should become a must... :)

I'm a very narrow minded cook. A few years ago, the only dishes I had to my name were pasta from a jar, and fried rice. After expanding these, I tried a few more things, and since getting a slow cooker, I've added a few more. I've only tried beef recipes in the slow cooker, if it doesn't have meat of some sort, I find the kids don't touch it. And as soon as it becomes left overs, it might as well go in the bin. We don't look through the fridge for dinner, we plan them, so we try to make exact meals. I have put frozen whole meals in the freezer, and I've looked at them a year later and thought "I could use that container", and simply thrown it's contents out. So, I've basically given up on saving the leftovers. Except for my potato salad. No one's EVER thrown that out. It get's demolished so quickly! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment